Featured Recipe

Roasted Cauliflower Bisque

Cauliflower is now being touted as the new Kale ~ for folks that haven't warmed up to the texture and flavor of kale, this is good news.  Cauliflower tends to take on the flavor of what it's paired with.  It's also extremely versatile; you can bake, broil, boil, steam, rice, saute, mix with just about anything or enjoy it raw.  I chose to prepare a simple bisque with the head of cauliflower I had in my refrigerator.  It's light and has a lovely mild flavor.  You could add cheese, veggies or a protein to add a little zip to this bisque. "The flavor of roasted cauliflower is wonderful!" 

Fresh Pear and Blueberry Crumble

I've never been a big fan of pie; or so I thought.  What I realized was that I was not a fan of dense crust filled with goo.  (Obviously I haven't had many good pies!)  This recipe was created to fulfill my craving for a light, fresh "pie" without the fuss.

"Fresh pears and juicy blueberries combine for just the right amount of sweetness!"

INGREDIENTS
Filling
2 large pears (3 cups), peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
3 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. flour

Crumble
1 cup oats
2 Tbs. flour
3 Tbs. butter, cut into pea sized bits
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. sliced almonds (optional)

PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1.     In a large mixing bowl, add pears, blueberries, lemon zest and sugar.  Gently mix to combine.

2.     Sprinkle flour over mixture; gently mix again.

3.     In a mixing bowl, combine oats, flour and brown sugar.  Add butter and toss.

4.     Spoon fruit mixture into 4 small ramekins (or 1 pie dish)

5.     Sprinkle crumble mixture over the fruit. 

6.     Bake for 45 minutes; the filling will bubble.


7.     Serve and enjoy!